New guy question

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
jacksonjack
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

New guy question

Post by jacksonjack »

Just joined and am looking for my first astro/safari to play with . I'm looking at something 2000 and newer. I understand they break down 2000-2002 and 2002-2005 with the later having larger brakes and 16 in wheels. Anything else I should know about the differences in the two age groups?
Also, I imagine there is no problem running 16's on the earlier ones but do 15 in wheels clear the brakes on the 2003-2005's ?
I plan on running a 2 in lift ( yea, I know, that's what they all say to start ) . But , I'm planning on an AWD and running AT's, what fired are guys running on 15's and 16's under a 2 inch lift ?
I'm sure many of you guys know certain tired only come in certain sizes. Looking at Bfg AT's , Goodyear duratracs, and Safari TSR's.
any insight would help. Thanks up front .

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: New guy question

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Welcome to the site! I'm running a 2" body lift and S-10 leaf springs. Tires are 235/75r-15's. minor rub during full turn on the bottom of front valance before trimming. Don't know about brake to rim clearance you spoke of
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

Welcome to the site. The 2003-2005 vans have 16in wheels with 6 lugs, and disk brakes on all 4 corners. 2002 and older have 5 lug wheels and drum brakes on the rear axel.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AstroWill »

jacksonjack wrote:Just joined and am looking for my first astro/safari to play with . I'm looking at something 2000 and newer. I understand they break down 2000-2002 and 2002-2005 with the later having larger brakes and 16 in wheels. Anything else I should know about the differences in the two age groups?
The big ones are the Wheels/Lugs/Axles/Brakes/EGR/Injector differences in the ~03-05
jacksonjack wrote:Also, I imagine there is no problem running 16's on the earlier ones but do 15 in wheels clear the brakes on the 2003-2005's ?
No, you can not run 15" wheels on the 03-05 vans. From -02 you can run 15 and larger 03-05 16 and larger.
jacksonjack wrote: I plan on running a 2 in lift ( yea, I know, that's what they all say to start ) . But , I'm planning on an AWD and running AT's, what fired are guys running on 15's and 16's under a 2 inch lift ?
Start from the ground up, decide on how much ground clearance you want, then get the tires to provide that clearance, then the lift to fit the tires.
jacksonjack wrote: I'm sure many of you guys know certain tired only come in certain sizes. Looking at Bfg AT's , Goodyear duratracs, and Safari TSR's.
any insight would help. Thanks up front .
Yes, there is a huge selection of 16inch tires, not so much on 15".