Exploring the vacuum line conundrum

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
LAZ 1
I get chills without my van.

Exploring the vacuum line conundrum

Post by LAZ 1 »

After four Astro/Saafri vans, and with all four having the notorious "vacuum line deficiency selector switch" issues, I finally replaced ALL the visible vacuum lines in one of my vans. Went from the sending unit on the left manifold side of the engine, up to the T fitting, short section back to the connector coming out of the firewall, and finally, the piece from the T down to the vacuum ball storage unit.

So for $ 5.00 worth of new vacuum line, and an hour of labor, now I finally know where all the bits and pieces tie in together.

Also installed new shocks at front, and am about to remove the trailer hitch from one van and install it on another.
OH BOY!
[;{)

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: Exploring the vacuum line conundrum

Post by Captn. Crunch »

I need to do the same thing to mine. I just can't seem to get myself up for tearing it all apart and chasing all those little plastic hoses all over the place. God only knows if their right in the first place. But for five bucks and an hour of my life I guess I'll take a whack at it.
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AstroWill »

Just make sure to do them one at a time, I remove one end, put the new hose on one end, route it along until the other end then cut and attach.

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

I don't suppose you can tell me just what you need to do the job? What size and how much tubing? Any fittings?
Thanks
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AstroWill »

Most of it should be the same size, take one piece off or snip an inch off of one and take it to the store as it all depends on the year and sometimes even options.

The plastic connectors are usually just fine, if you have the the really small tubing with the rubber adapters, sometimes those rubber 90degree elbows/adapters crack.

it's usually .30 - .80 cents per foot for the hose/tubing, just buy 6 to 10 feet and you will have extra for windshield washer lines or whatever. For $5 and some time it's a worthwhile project.