ANOTHER Astro Van ...

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
LAZ 1
I get chills without my van.

ANOTHER Astro Van ...

Post by LAZ 1 »

Well, I just could not pass it up. A running 2000 AWD ASTRO passenger van for $ 500.
Not perfect ... but then neither am I.

It will join the stable:
- 1999 AWD Safari almost a Micro Motorhome ... initial cost $ 1000, upgrades - $ 5000 PLUS still counting

- 1998 2WD Safari daily driver ... semi camperised ... initial cost $ 1100, materials to camperise - $ 500

- 1998 AWD Safari spare parts van ... low mileage but needs too much to get back on the road

- and the long Gone 1998 Safari AWD with Dutch doors that was sold last year to three young ladies for their trip across Canada ... back roads included.

How many Safari / Astro vans does a sane person really need??
[;{)
Larry Z

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: ANOTHER Astro Van ...

Post by Captn. Crunch »

How many Safari / Astro vans does a sane person really need??

Ok now your getting into dangerous waters Larry. The whole sanity issue has been long debated on these pages and screamed on "that other site". My wife gave up long ago. I'm just waiting for the apocalypse so I can jump in the van with the whole family plus the dog and a months supplies and bug out to the mountains where most vehicles would dare to tread! Then she'll finally get the whole AstroSafari "thing"
I can almost here it now. " I was wrong all those years. Your my hero!"

And then I wake up
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

That Astro motorhome I haven't seen before and I've been around these vans a very long time. Can we get more details and pics?

Most Astros in my possession at once has been three so far, currently looking to purchase my 8th one though.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

rustyvan
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by rustyvan »

Want to see pics to, an on my seventh van lol

Topic author
LAZ 1
I get chills without my van.

Post by LAZ 1 »

The Safari AWD MICRO motorhome is a project I started last year.

It was supposed to be finished and on the way to Mexico for last Winter. Unfortunately life happened... and the build has been delayed. Still needs a few days outside to seal it up nice and tight, and the interior is still bare. The interior still has at least a few weeks work to complete.

There is a QUEEN sized bed in the back ( priorities) but no room for a bathoom. Lots of storage space below and above the bed, and in the cabover section.

I previously did mini motorhome conversions on a VW van ( too small) and a 4WD CONVERSION Ford 1 ton van ( too big and heavy). Holefullu the Safari build will be just the right size. Roomy enough for comfort, but still light and nimble enough for some serious OVERLANDING.

Larry Z

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

So, you chopped the back off yourself and built up the body?
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AstroWill »

I thought that my Tiger was heavy, have had it pushing almost 6,000lbs when completely (over)loaded.

What do you think this might weight, if you ever get a chance to stop by a scale, would love it know the answer.