What do you do for privacy curtains and how to mount them?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
trackvw
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

What do you do for privacy curtains and how to mount them?

Post by trackvw »

I have a stock 2003 Astrovan

I would like to put curtains on the drivers side windows and the fixed passenger side window ,

and then have removable curtains , for the sliding door and rear windows so I can see out of them most of the time.....

I want to keep the crooks from seeing what is in the back and also keep the light down if I want to take a nap :) ( old guy problem )

I want it to look nice , but since I will be the last guy to own this van I do not mind drilling holes but want it to last ,

any ideas or pictures ? I can have someone sew them if needed ,

thanks for your ideas

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: What do you do for privacy curtains and how to mount the

Post by Herbie »

Three solutions for you:

1) Just cut Reflectix panels slightly oversized and they'll friction-fit to the window trim. This is what I use now for camping. Alternatively you can put suction cups in the corners. (My rear hatch only has cups so that the panels will stay in when I'm opening/closing that door all day.)

2) Sew curtains (using blackout liner if you like). Drill holes in the plastic window trim near the tops of the vertical edges and run elastic cord between the holes, using a knot at each end to secure them. Presumably requires removing/replacing the trim. This was how my "donor" GTRV was fitted when I harvested the poptop stuff for my transplant.

3) Get curtain tracks from curtain-tracks.com Adhere them to the tops of the window glass using 3M Low-Profile Dual-Lock. This is the path I started going down. I did one window track, then ran out of time before a trip and did the Reflectix thing. That worked so well, I haven't yet finished this project, but I probably will someday just so I don't have to store the Reflectix...
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.