AstroSafariVans.com

The premier site for Astro and Safari van information
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:59 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162
 Post subject: Re: What did you do to/with your van today?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:59 pm 
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Astrophysics wrote:
Very professional!
Today I installed acrylic AVS Vent Visors on 2003 Chevy Astro.
Got em at Pep Boys.
I loosened bolts holding side mirrors and the end of acrylic fits under the flange. Nice.
The vent visors have adhesive strip that bonds and sticks to rubber weatherstrip. First clean rubber with IPA, isopropyl alcohol.

AP

These are still on my van, survived my trip down south and all. No issues with the adhesive, a great little addition to the van.

want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:28 pm 
I get chills without my van.

Here's the "most recent" thing I've done "with" my vans...
Attended and worked the "44th Van Nationals 2016" in Lakeland, Fl.

Took BOTH vans...
Van#1: My 92 was the "sound van" loaded with and towing sound equipment..
Van#2: My 2000 was our "camping van"..

Quick stop... headed to event, Northbound on the Florida Turnpike:

Van #2: Our van campsite (near the front gate):

Van #1: Setup in airplane hanger... providing daily announcements and sound for the evening bands:

Van #1: stayed indoors all week (hooked to the sound and stage):

Providing music, trophies, giveaways, sound, and announcements all week (my view looking out):

Mixer #2: Mixin da bands (different band every night):

A sampling of some of the nightlife entertainment:

Van #2: Our outdoor campsite (just outside the hanger) view looking the other direction...
complete with electric, A/C, water, tables, grill, coolers, shade, and pool:

Just over 300 AWESOME vans in attendance from all over the country!
We partied... and drank a LOT of beer too!
Life-long memories and a good time was had by all!!! :)
2%

92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:17 am 
I finally get the smurf thing

Been a while since I've posted anything, but yesterday I replaced the starter on Great A'Tuin.
Took all of 20 minutes start to finish.

2000 LS AWD
2.5" lift, 3.73 G80, Bilsteins, 235/75-15 Toyo A/T's, 2500 Brakes, Skid plate
Ultra-Gauge, Long/Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Electric fans, Bed Kit. 250,000 miles.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:43 am 

Well, I think I figured out my intermittant power issue. MAF sensor! I replaced it, last night and now the critter is running perfect again!

2000 LS AWD
2.5" lift, 3.73 G80, Bilsteins, 235/75-15 Toyo A/T's, 2500 Brakes, Skid plate
Ultra-Gauge, Long/Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Electric fans, Bed Kit. 250,000 miles.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:40 am 
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Great A'Tuin wrote:
Well, I think I figured out my intermittant power issue. MAF sensor! I replaced it, last night and now the critter is running perfect again!

That's fantastic news.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:45 pm 

Just a new fuel filter today. Not much to do. :cheers:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:33 pm 
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

emptied van and pickup up two server racks. i miss driving my van......

DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 in storage (project coming soon)
1992 Chevy Astro "Z" vin (engine/trans in storage body crushed)
1995 Chevy Astro need lots of help project vehicle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:53 am 
I sleep in my van

I gave the van a good going over a few weekends back and decided I am going to hang on to the old girl another year.
Nothing really mechanically wrong that I cant fix. But even with undercoating it every second year for the last 10 years I have rust in the most common areas. Hatch, front fenders where it meets the bumper, and the dog leg in front of the PS rear wheel.
The dog leg rust in front of the PS rear wheel had a good nickle sized bubble. I opened it up it and all the foam behind was wet. Had to cut from 4" above the cladding ( which I removed ) almost down to the rocker to clean it all out. What a stupid design to have all that metal meet there and to add foam to it so the moisture is trapped. Rotted it from the inside out ! I cleaned it up best I could reach. Rust convertor and then panel bonded most of the metal I took out back in. Couple small patches to hold it together then glassed over the patch to keep it water tight.

The ps fender has the common rust at the bumper but also a hairline crack right in the body line. Removed that fender to deal with the rust I couldn't reach on the backside. Once cleaned it up I laid down some fiberglass mat on the backside to keep it from flexing and cracking again. Its really strong now

Hatch wasn't too bad as I have been touching it up every spring and fall. Just some surface rust on either side of the sweep of the wiper. And some surface rust around the license plate.

Working on a bad crack in the bumper today. All the cracks were opened up and grooved. I roughed up the abs on the backside a good 6" past the repair. Gaffers tape on the topside to hold it solid and 2x coats of resin and mat on the backside to reinforce. This morning I will peel back the tape and see what I am working with. Hope to duraglass the topside cracks, smooth and paint today.

The paint I figured would be expensive but it wasn't too bad. I was figuring that I would get a couple $40 rattle cans mixed up but talking to the counter guy at CARQUEST and he talked me into BC/CC. It was about $150.00cdn out the door in for a quart of paint & clear plus reducer and hardener.
Sprayed it outside with my $20.00 hlpv princess auto / harbor freight gun. For good measure I bought 3 air driers ( on sale for $1.99 ea ) that you screw into the bottom of the gun. So far I have painted the hatch and dog leg. Its far from perfect but the paint blends fairly well and not much crap in the Clear coat.

Once the paint is done I still have rear caliper sliders, and brakes to do. Then on with the winter tires and another undercoating before the snow flies.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:07 pm 
I sleep in my van

paint and bodywork are all done. Its not 100% but definitely 100% better than what was there. However I lost all the pics from my camera and the ones one my phone are all blurry

Rear calipers, pins, pads n rotors were done but I still have a slight "shimmy" pulling the trailer when I apply the brakes. Like its pushing or pulling the rear to one side.

I am getting a vibration in the wheel when braking now as well. I figure with 240 thousand kms plus on the vans original front calipers and slider pins I will replace the whole setup up front too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:00 pm 
I sleep in my van

Yup, 3 of the pins in the front calipers were sticky and 1 completely seized. Then the cat failed and popped a code ( catalytic convertor performing below efficiency.......

So I priced a new cat from GM. LOLOLOL its over $1000.00. Comes complete with the crossover though.
So I pulled the crossover and had the local shop weld in 2x universal cats from Walker and mount it back up for me. Light is gone now.

Todays problem is the trailer hitch. Its was an original factory install with what I believe to be aftermarket hitch. Even though my van has been undercoated every second year since new I discovered last week when knocking the rust off the side of the hitch where it mounts to the body that my hammer went thru.

I have a new hitch here now but it lacks the bumper support mounts that the old hitch had. I salvaged what I could off the old hitch and will have to cut and paste the mounts from the old hitch to the new one so there is something holding my bumper up.

Nothing simple with these old rigs.

Oh and it just turned over 280000 kms / 175000 miles on the orig drivetrain.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162