It's been a while for me being here, but here I am

Post photos, video of your van

Topic author
JaxSPL
I get chills without my van.

It's been a while for me being here, but here I am

Post by JaxSPL »

I was losing interest in Astro/Safaris for a while. I think it was because I quit competing in car audio competitions, got married, had a son, and had more problems with my '89 Astro than I could fix at one time (or any time). Last week a bug hit me and I am back. That bug was a 1995 Chevy Astro. Here are the pictures of it, the day I bought it.

I've got a few more pics, but you get the idea of the van with these. It has been customized. Even though it looks pretty nice, the van has some problems. I don't think the previous owner knew anything about electronics. The brake lights come on as soon as I turn the key, and stay on.. hence I have no brake lights due to them being on full time. The transmission has a problem with shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Pretty sure the tranny isn't shot as I have got it to shift all the gears more than once. I believe it's something electrical like a sensor. Front parking lights dont work. Instrument cluster lights dont work. Radio, when I try to turn it up, shuts off and comes right back on. Every wire, it looks like, under the dash, has a T-Tap with a fuse on it.

It's going to be a lot of work but I think it's worth it. A '95 with 155K miles on it and a lot of work put into it. I bought it for $2500.
I Am Dennis. Van is Da Boom
Florida Sales Rep for GPI Subwoofers

Topic author
JaxSPL

Re: It's been a while for me being here, but here I am

Post by JaxSPL »

I forgot about this pic. This is my '89 and '95 sitting together, talking about the things to come in their future.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Very nice. Fixing electrical gremlins can be a daunting task but when you are done and everything works it's very rewarding.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
JaxSPL

Post by JaxSPL »

I sure hope so, lol. I have faith in this van even though I am kind of sad/upset about buying it. I evidently wanted it so bad, without realizing it, I didn't check everything over like I normally do. Little things like I checked the oil, but forgot the transmission fluid. I checked under the van, but forgot to check the tail lights. I forgot things that I shouldn't have.

Oh well. This coming week, supposedly, I'll have a person come over and run a diagnostics on the van and print out everything that is wrong with it. My main concern is the transmission, brake lights, and front parking lights. Once I get those fixed right, it should be a downhill battle, but still, it'll be a battle.

I do have a service manual for the '89 Astro wiring. Hopefully that will help out a bit with the gremlins. I pretty much have to restore the wiring under the dash back to factory by taking every aftermarket wire out. Never know, this might fix the problem itself. We shall see. Waiting on it to warm up a little today. Hopefully I can dance between raindrops and work on the van for a bit.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Dennis still from the pictures that is one hell of a buy.Congrats on the buy.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Might be easier to get a complete under dash wire harness from a scrapyard. Of course, starting with removing all the aftermarket junk will probably fix most of it!
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
JaxSPL

Post by JaxSPL »

I'm thinking about that (getting the wiring harness). However, I wonder if the harness off the '89 will work. that would save some cash.

I thought I had it all fixed today. The headunit was playing nice, clean, and loud, with the van not running. I decided to try driving it to the store and every time I changed from park to drive or rolled a window down/up, or pushed the door popper, the headunit would shut off and come back on. I took the door poppers out of line for now due to not being able to find the ground wire for them.
I do have the tail lights working properly. P.O. took out the fuse and replaced it with 2 fused wires (20amp each).
I took out the alarm that was installed as I didn't have the remotes for it. Still have the wiring for it though and will attempt to remove that tomorrow.
Disconnected the ABS module as I thought it was what was giving me the tranny slipping problem. It wasn't, but not the van is acting like it all one gear. I presume that is limp mode. However, when I drove it to the store today, it changed gears 80% of the time I was driving. All gears were used and it went into them perfectly. It slipped a couple times though. I'm thinking the VSS could be the problem as my speedometer is all over the place.
I'm slowly getting it right and it will take time. I am trying to make everything as close to factory as I can with the wiring so I can start fresh with the aftermarket equipment.

Let's see if this youtube thing works. :)
http://youtu.be/YhCV-tylXAE

Seems I don't know how to use the youtube thing for the forum.

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Watching that video, it looks like major ground problems. Not enough of them.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Topic author
JaxSPL

Post by JaxSPL »

that's what I'm thinking, HPbyStan. I didnt think anything about the ground wires for the door poppers. I didn't even look for them and hopefully they're in the doors. I am going to run new wires for grounds to them and see what happens.

I am also going to attempt, once again, to find the stock wiring for the stereo, instead of running new wiring like I did.

Going to go get a new VSS sensor tomorrow. I am hoping that will take care of the transmission issues. My speedometer is all over the place and doesn't show the right speed. After reading a lot, I think it's the VSS sensor is either dead or going dead.