My Wifes 1995 Safari van (Just the beginning,will be lifted)

Post photos, video of your van

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: My Wifes 1995 Safari van (Just the beginning,will be lifted)

Post by T.Low »

Ha, thanks but I'm certainly not the expert; I'm just good at figuring out who to ask for what, and the Founding Fathers of ASV and it's communtiy had all the answers, my brother in law had all the tools, and I had the crazy ideas and the $. Badda Bing Badda Boom, ya got an AstroLander.

I like your street intimidator look. 9Dawgs has a great stance on his 2wd with a 4" lift, in an off road style package. He could tell you better about tire clearence. 97cargo's 2wd is awesome but I think it's a 6" lift.

I switch on and off from MT's and AT's that are both about 30.75" tall. I have 4" lift in the rear and 3" in the front and still have a rub on a particular spot up front that only makes contact on a steep downhill, inside turn. I'd like to get another inch or so up in front, but am really leary of stressing ball joints to failure in the mountains, so for now, I'll error on the side of safety and conservatism.

I was assuming you were going to lift it just enough to better clear the tires you have. Is that not the case? Are you looking to go with a more agressive off road style like 9Dawgs?
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

That is a super cool looking van! :guitar:

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

sorry.. may have missed it..
crash wrote:any chance you could let me know the paint brand, color names and codes for both the green and black?

i have people in all the time looking for flats with a matte finish .. if i could cross those names/numbers it'd be helpful
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
JoeJITSU
I am smitten with my van

Post by JoeJITSU »

crash wrote:sorry.. may have missed it..
crash wrote:any chance you could let me know the paint brand, color names and codes for both the green and black?

i have people in all the time looking for flats with a matte finish .. if i could cross those names/numbers it'd be helpful
sorry bout that. It's by hot rot flatz and the color is olive drab.
Website is www.tcpglobal.com. We bought the kit.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

thanks!! .. I'm going to try to source it up here in Canunkland ..
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

JoeJITSU wrote:Its a 1995 with the fiberglass leaf springs. ATC Fuse? Dan is sending us the lift kit.Also its RWD if that helps
My bad. I saw the GMC Truck emblem and thought quickly it was an AWD emblem. Being a 2WD you can run any combo you want! Keep the pics coming as you do the lift.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

one more joe.. how did you do the wheels? did they start painted or chrome? if chrome, how'd you prep/prime/paint those? or are they powder coated? sorry if i missed that info..
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

unrreal
I get chills without my van.

Post by unrreal »

van looks cool joe i love the paint scheme \:D/ will be looking into your build see how it turns out :supz:
99 astro awd ls package, 3" bodylift, alarm system w/remote start, tinted windows, tranny cooler, modded air intake, bigger power steering cooler, hood struts, westin pushbar, hypertech tuned running on 91 octane, Hypertech 160* thermostat, 1 ton calipers and pads (not much of a difference as i expected)30" tall tires 245-65-17 on jeep wheels
here is a link to my pics: http://s795.photobucket.com/home/unrreal/allalbums

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Loving your van! Thing looks mean!
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

JoeJITSU wrote:
GnarliSafari wrote:why lift it? it looks perfect as is, those wheels and tires fill the wheel wells nicely!
The front tires are smaller and the front tires are the biggest we can get to fit. The rims are 18". Thanks
like i said why lift it, you really need bigger front tires? it looks perfect as is, if your gonna lift it i woulf put 15s back on it with some mud style tires, otherwise its gonna look stupid. i think the theme youve started calls for a low stance not a tall stance plus lifting 2wd vans is dumb thats what the awds are for. just my 2cents though.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

I'm not sure about the carbon fiber hood, I think flat black might look better. Just my opinion, but that being said I still think it looks freakin' awesome!
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

GnarliSafari wrote: plus lifting 2wd vans is dumb thats what the awds are for. just my 2cents though.
Thats like saying whoever doesn't own a digital camera ( especially with them being so rediculously inexpensive ) is dumb... :poke: but we wouldn't say that would we?...lol

Raising these vans makes them look better & gives greater ground clearance, add a LS or locker or whatever gives greater traction either in snow or off road which might be all that someone needs to do what they need to do, sure the AWD are nice but that doesn't mean we can all find one that suits us... just my 2cents as well :cheers:

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

astrozam wrote:
GnarliSafari wrote: plus lifting 2wd vans is dumb thats what the awds are for. just my 2cents though.
Thats like saying whoever doesn't own a digital camera ( especially with them being so rediculously inexpensive ) is dumb... :poke: but we wouldn't say that would we?...lol

Raising these vans makes them look better & gives greater ground clearance, add a LS or locker or whatever gives greater traction either in snow or off road which might be all that someone needs to do what they need to do, sure the AWD are nice but that doesn't mean we can all find one that suits us... just my 2cents as well :cheers:
Personally, I think just about everything looks better lifted! (I'm trying to figure out how to get lift and 31s under our Ford Focus wagon!) :muhaha:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

manyon
I am smitten with my van

Post by manyon »

Joe, Van looks really cool. Love the color combo and hood pins. Would like to hear more about tire/wheel sizes. I like the way they fill out the fenders.

t.low, I'm bummed to hear that my black rims look like a goth girl. I might have to paint them a metal flake hot pink now.
2000 Astro LT

1990 Astro RS 2WD, 175,000 miles (divorced)

1993 Astro Shorty 2WD, 213,000 miles (divorced)

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

:muhaha:

Hey, thats just my little opinion. Maybe you like Goth Girls!??

I like that there are different vehicles and different styles out on the street. It would be boring if everyone did the alloy same as me. Variety is good. Even if I don't like it, I still like it. :rolleyes:

Do your thing and more power to ya. :cheers:
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.