First post, first Astro'Fari 2004 AWD

Post photos, video of your van

Topic author
SafariSoGood
I am merely driving my van

First post, first Astro'Fari 2004 AWD

Post by SafariSoGood »

I think I got a good deal on this. 153k 2004 AWD passenger. It's getting bad bad gas mileage but I think that is something to do with the noise I'm hearing in the passenger rear wheel. The engine seems fine, only blowing a general fault code for idle speed probably a vacuum leak.

I'm not sure if the AWD is working. From this video I'm thinking maybe not: https://youtu.be/jAhSouRjavk

I paid $1,400 plus tax and tags, so just under $1,700. Interior is great. Cloth, but clean. Of course the door handles and hinges are all wobbly and need of changing out. No big deal.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: First post, first Astro'Fari 2004 AWD

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Very nice.

The 2003 to 2005 have 16" wheels and disc brakes front and rear.

AP

Topic author
SafariSoGood

Post by SafariSoGood »

Thanks Astrophysics (great username!) . My wife hates it. thinks its huge. I showed her the specs its' only 1 inch longer than a toyota camry, 8 inches wider and 15 inches taller. she's not convinced. but if we ever get snow in Philly again (been a long time already) and IF the AWD is working she'll learn to love it ! We're a family of 6 and this seats 8 plus all the luggage we've ever owned. so what's not to love (except 8 MPG i'm getting right now. got some work to do there...)

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

SafariSoGood,

That is a very clever name.

For an easy quick fun job, you can buy LED dome light 194 bulbs to replace factory bulbs. You get modern nice white light and wife and kids can see and read better.

Yes, you can do lots of the trouble shooting your self.

When you have time,
1. Check, clean, or change air filter. Easy quick clips on air box.
2. Change fuel filter under neath. Get a shop manual and read about each operation. If you are handy mechanically, the Astro is sturdy and you will love it.
3. If engine is rough, and bad mileage, could be dirty MAF, mass air flow sensor. Get the special spray cleaner for MAF at auto parts.
4. Always a good idea to search You Tube... On each topic to see video if each auto repair.

Bret Schmerker
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Bret Schmerker »

\:D/ LED relamps are a good thing, provided that they're properly selected. For my 1997 M11006's interior relamp-in-progress, I selected the PILOT® IL-194W-1 for five of six map lights (too bad Pilot Automotive hasn't seen fit to manufacture an IL-194R-1, as I wanted one map light red); the PILOT® IL-568W for the aft dome and midship steplight; the PHILIPS® 14B06 for the center dome; and the OSRAM® SYLVANIA® ZEVO® 211-2WSLED for the forward dome. As of 13 September 2019 the cab steplights are empty, as they are masked by the closed doors and I haven't yet found a red or amber one-side-firing 43mm LED festoon; I really want to retrofit some Safari SLX stock-replacement door lights and OSRAM® SYLVANIA® ZEVO® 168WSLED's (in for the SLE's stock red reflector panels), as the cab doors are prewired for 'em.
1997 GMC M11006 (Safari SLE, 2WD, V6-4300/4L60-E/7.625" 3.73:1 open)
Acquired Jul 2018 / In service Sep 2018 - Nov 2022 / down due leaky valve(s) #5 cyl.