Buyer Beware

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
e7ats
I finally get the smurf thing

Buyer Beware

Post by e7ats »

AstroZam
ImagePosted: Oct. 08 2005,6:32
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
O.K Astrosafari folks, this thread will be for you to help others on this site. If you have had a bad experience buying a product, eg: off e-bay, or from a business, then now is the time to tell us, and hopefully help someone else from making the same mistake.
In order to keep things easy to understand, list the following...

1, Name of seller or company, or both if applicable.
2, Where is seller located eg: e-bay or some other area on the net or an actual store.
3, Brief summary of what the problem was.

If the individual or company has several stores, please be specific as to which one you had problems with.
Please do not use this particular thread to vent your anger (use the off-topic or A.G forums for that )

This topic will be pinned, so that it will be easy to locate.

Lets get the word out, on who not to deal with

MD/Astro\CL
Posted: Oct. 13 2005,12:31

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ebay member: proexhaust
company: xr team
name of seller: Wai Hung Tang
Reason: I won an auction for new bumper lenses back on august 12th, send payment in on the 20th to this guy. Didn't hear anything for a month and a half so I tried contacting the email that he gave me, my email came back to me as a default, so I filed a complaint with ebay, he responded to the complaint with "we dun recieve payment yet" so I got out the money order receipt, called customer service, it was cashed by him on September first. I left him bad feedback for obvious reason, he left me bad feedback for leaving him bad feedback Image The ebay complaint is still pending. Now he is softening up and saying "well I couldnt find record of it on my payment rosters" I want my damn lenses.

The Rebel
Posted: Oct. 13 2005,1:45

Another you want to watch for on Ebay.
Goes by S10PARTS out of Grand Rapids Mi.
Sells auto parts mostly.

He had the Vette IRS I'm installing posted as complete and ready to bolt in other than shocks. There were no shock mounts and the toe-in assembly was so rusted it couldn't be used. Talked to him several times and said he would send shock mounts,,no mounts no refund of any kind.

The Rebel
Posted: Oct. 18 2005,5:44

If bidding on Ebay,watch out for what looks to be an Ebay background offering you the item you bid on but lost. Just happened to me on a bid for 95 Safari conversion. The reserve wasn't even met by the higher bidder. This is what told me it could be a scam. I called the dealer who said they still had the van but the offer was not from them.
The e-mail address to watch out for is
[url=mailto:PAS1PAS@HOTMAIL.COM]PAS1PAS@HOTMAIL.COM[/url]

ockdog12
Posted: Oct. 25 2005,9:49

I've had numerous bad transactions on Ebay. They acutually had to be brought to square-trade. Now I don't buy anything unless it's with Paypal. At first I was using money orders,but they started to become a problem w/ sellers. Example: lost or had to trace them,never received..Anyways,you really do need to check a sellers feedback BEFORE U BID!!!

rlsllc
Posted: Nov. 28 2005,10:35

A family member had a bad experience with a company out of Kearney, Nebraska , called Marshall Engines. They are an engine rebuilder, or at least claim to be. He had an engine from them last 20 minutes before it spun #5 rod bearing. They claimed the mechanic was at fault, stating failure caused by debris in the motor. This was a $1100 motor, and the repair cost was $350, plus pay the mechanic to remove and reinstall the engine twice, plus shipping to and from Kearney, Nebraska, from Ashland, Kentucky. His mechanic is an old hand with a very nice clean shop, who is semi-retired, and only takes work from friends and family for the most part. He was in no hurry, and is well known in the area for his work.
It has been 5 weeks since the return (to Marshall) of the engine, their diagnosis, estimate and (our) approval for the repair (at our expense), and still no engine.
Bottom line, if they can weasel out of a warranty claim at 20 minutes of run time, how much luck do you think you'd have 30k into the warranty? If I were in their shoes, I would have fixed it free just for reputations sake, not to mention nearly 6 weeks and still no motor, after being told on more than one occasion that it would ship "today". I wish there could have been a third party diagnostic. It seems so one sided to have the potential "at fault party" be the judge.

Be cautious of Marshall Engines.

rlsllc
Posted: Jan. 08 2006,5:01

Just an update about the above post, got the van back the week before Christmas, and it was running real good. My Father-in-Law put about 150 easy miles on it running errands, and noticed the oil light would flicker at stoplights. He headed to the mechanics to get it checked out, and when they were checking it out, the light came on and it stopped running and then would not turn over. He has been too mad to talk about it, so I haven't heard anymore. I will post it when I do.

6spd_monte
Posted: Feb. 05 2006,4:44

Vendor: Stainless Steel Brakes Corp. http://www.ssbrakes.com
Item: Caliper kit for Astros pn: A185-M
Problem: Their website states the calipers will fit with a 15 inch wheel. I bought the set and found out that's not true. I'm sure they would fit with 16s.

To prevent this, use the wheel fitment diagram on the website to measure before you buy.

snowandtorque
Posted: Mar. 20 2006,3:32

I got my engine replaced through a Jasper certified shop. It has been AWESOME!!! and you can't beat the 3 year 75,000k mile warranty either. And because it is a Jasper engine, and through the certified shop it doesn't matter if the plugs made the engine go, or if they put it in backwards, if it is still under warranty and it is the engine, they fix it. And because they replace most of any engine related parts when they do it all the way to the fuel injector if it has ANYTHING to do with the engine.....they take care of it nationwide!!! This engine runs like a champ!!!

Also a note:

Don't reply to any e-mail you get from "ebay" unless you got the same e-mail in your actual ebay account. If someone offers you a second chance offer (an offer ebay allows if the original buyer backs out) the notification will show up in your ebay messages. Same with reserves that are lowered. Rule of thumbs, if you got it in your e-mail and not in your ebay messages....it is scam mail. I sell on ebay for people and have seen it a million times. Same with Paypal. Paypal will use your name in any and all official Paypal emails. If it says "dear Paypal subscriber" or "Dear Paypal User" it is a scam. Neither Paypal or Ebay will EVER ask for Credit Card info or other sensitive material from you in an email!

rlsllc
Posted: Mar. 28 2006,1:03

Quote (rlsllc @ Jan. 08 2006,3:01)
Just an update about the above post, got the van back the week before Christmas, and it was running real good. My Father-in-Law put about 150 easy miles on it running errands, and noticed the oil light would flicker at stoplights. He headed to the mechanics to get it checked out, and when they were checking it out, the light came on and it stopped running and then would not turn over. He has been too mad to talk about it, so I haven't heard anymore. I will post it when I do.
The distributor for Marshall Engines bought the engine back. They are going to fight it out with Marshall. My Father-in-Law is out all the labor, and had a used motor installed in the van. It too has something wrong with it. Image

Crash
Posted: April 23 2006,7:49

warning about bad ebay seller

ebay id: kandb_audio

purchased two car audio amps from them (in one transaction)

they seem to list the product when non-functioning. when auction is won they repair the product (this is the cause of delays), then ship. items were finally shipped 1 month after i paid for them. arrived 2 weeks after shipped, poorly packed and cosmetically damaged due to the poor packaging.
never replied to emails until i started a paypal dispute then he started replying so kind and friendly it wasn't funny. they give the excuse that they kept missing the package when they made their trips to the shipping vendor they use. Image

eventually, paypal refunded 95% of purchase/shipping amount and I resubmitted payment, less shipping costs and a small amount for the damage. $20

The Boss
Posted: June 30 2006,12:09

Ebay Vendor : smittys_auto
Item: 96-01 GMC SAFARI GRILLE CHR/GRY COMPOSITE
Ebay Item # 8061044873

I used the BIN for this grille off e-bay. I was surprised that the listing was far cheaper that anybody else selling the same grille. I used paypal to pay right away. Then the problems started. I waited a 2 weeks for the grille that was listed as in stock and was to be shipped the next day. I called the contact number listed in the auction. I was told that my grille was damaged and another would have to come from their other warehouse, and it would be $50. additional. I told them I would not be paying anything additional and either refund my $ or send a grille. I was told that I would be getting a shipment via fed ex that next Tuesday, they even provided a tracking # (This is a trick alot of sellers use, it seems that you can have a tracking number assigned before the shipping company has the item in possession). Anyway I started to get suspicious when smittys feedback negatives had gone from 0 to 9 in a matter of 2 days. I then proceeded to flie a complaint with paypal. I was able to get part of my $ refunded less the fee for paypal getting me a refund. I thought this was against the law, I feel violated. I'm really not feeling so secure with the whole e-bay/ paypal monopoly anymore. These guys even had the SAND to forward me a e-mail for non-payment, after which they sent a e-mail asking if the grille had arrived yet. BEWARE

reaper
Posted: Sep. 07 2006,10:19

Ebay seller Bumimoto,out of San Gabriel.
Ordered a set of custom mirrors from them & send out a M.O.
That was 3 months ago.Ive been back n forth e-mailing & they keep sending the same answer.I have called numerous times & can not seem to get a refund,I just get "im sorry".I also recieved - feedback from these jokers for no reason.So dont waste your time with these clowns.

ds99
Posted: Sep. 08 2006,3:29

Added E-Bay insurance. Tell them your a bounty hunter and it wouldn't be hard to find them

Really, look at their feedback and how long they've been members and the last month of recent transactions. And anytime it's overseas be aware of long shipping delays.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:22 pm
I installed one of his "OEM" pumps and it died a week later. I ended up having to pay labor again since I supplied the faulty pump with the addition of another OEM pump through the installer's sources. Two labor fees, two pump fees. I had to do this just to get the family van back on the road. I couldn't wait for the pump to be exchanged per his warrenty.

I did return it, but never received anything back. I have his signature he recieved it, but when he emails me, which is rare, he talks crazy trying to put me off.

I researched and found a site reporting more of this activity:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchresul ... rch=Search

and even one for Carter & Federal Mogul:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/2 ... 252188.htm

The counterfeit fuel pumps are made of inferior materials and contain a defective plastic fuel line housing that can separate, allow fuel to leak and result in a fire in the presence of an ignition source caused by the fuel pump's substandard wiring.

I bought my pump from him January of 2007 and returned it once it faultered. I still haven't received a new pump or a refund. You've been warned. I'm just hoping to save someone a headache.

scootermcb
I am merely driving my van

Forget PayPal-use your credit card!!

Post by scootermcb »

If you're concerned about a seller on eBay,but can't resist buying the part, you'll get much better fraud protection by using your credit card to fund your purchase. You can still use PayPal, just add your card to your account as a funding source. If a sale goes bad, you'll need to use PayPal's resolution center first (or you'll lose any protections offered by them) but if you can't get your money back from PayPal, most credit cards have superior protections, and you can usually recover your shipping charges as well as your purchase price. Also PayPal's protections do not cover payments for intangibles, services, airline flight tickets, or licenses and other access to digital content.
PayPal has recovered money for me in the past, but I wonder how good they are at recovering money when the scammer has closed his PayPal account...
Don't forget-you must open a Dispute in the Resolution Center within 45 Days of the date of the relevant payment and then escalate the Dispute into a Claim within 20 Days of the date you file your Dispute. Scammers know this and will attempt to keep you in suspense with false promises, hoping the deadline will pass without you filing a Dispute. Make sure you adhere to these deadlines-there is seldoma reason you should have to wait more than 21 days for delivery of an item. Do not be afraid to open a dispute-this is usually sufficient motivation for a lazy seller to correct the situation.
One last thing-if you do encounter an issue with a seller, get his contact information from eBay and give the seller a call. If the seller cannot be reached through the information provided by eBay, that's a sign that you are being scammed. IMMEDIATELY file a dispute with PayPal, and report the seller to eBay (as having erroneous contact information). This is a violation of eBay's user agreement, and the member can be banned.
1989 Astro CS 4.3l 5 pass AM/FM 6CD player

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Good info scooter, thanks for sharing.

coolen
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Buyer Beware

Post by coolen »

i second using the dispute with paypal. also i had to call paypal one time about an issue that i had on ebay, and i can tell ya's, i got the impression that paypal DOES care about their customers. They were great!

But like stated above, the dispute is the way to go if you're having problems.
95 safari AWD
94 astro, just itchin' for a V8!!

suicide86

Post by suicide86 »

No complaints with buying form anyone just selling to someone.CHOPFATHER.Dont deal with him.I wont get into details out of respect to the site.But he had enough chances
86 safari.
stock floor bodydrop,suicided doors,front end swap.Shaved all doors,tags,slider track,gas filler,liscence plate.Frenched box.
soon-22/24 wheels,350,paint and alot more

Allen

Post by Allen »

Re: credit card fraud protection...

They all claim this protection to the buyer ( it sells their cards ) but I have found the hard way that they usually will NOT help AT ALL unless you state categorically that you did not receive ANY value for money. Any disputes about the quality of the merchandise ( including being incomplete, busted, not the same as described, etc ) is between you and the seller ( as in: small claims court ).

Just thought you should know....