I think I have a problem...

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

I think I have a problem...

Post by rlsllc »

Brakes feel weird, has a shimmy shake at times, makes a lot of weird speed dependant noises, and has developed a constant thump.

Feels and sounds like the front left. I took a look, and the top of the rotor is touching the splash shield, and the bottom is out like 3/8 of an inch. The right wheel has an even gap.

I'm thinking wheel bearing. Any other ideas???

Link to the larger picture for a better detail look.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd11 ... 2817_1.jpg

BREAK
I am smitten with my van

Re: I think I have a problem...

Post by BREAK »

Sounds/looks like bearings to me. You jack it up and give it a wiggle yet?
Image Image

1995 2WD Astro 165K+
2000 AWD Astro 142K+, fully loaded

1995 Dodge 2500HD V10 4X4 reg cab 75K+, BFG all terrains (nice truck, everything is perfect on it)
1994 Honda Magna 4K+

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Not yet, I took that pic by flashlight. I'll look at it tomorrow, though. There is a groove in the rotor out by the edge from rubbing, lol.

Next step is find a good deal on one. 94 awd, left.

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

wheel bearing. Check the idlers while you are down there.

Look at the wear pattern on your wheel in the pic, worn really bad towards the inside ?? Should be making some really funny grinding noises going around right turns ( mine was LOL )

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Yes, the tires both wear on the inside and outside edges, the right one wears worse, actually. When accelerating hard, there is no noise. The same for a hard right turns. After a turn the brakes are way deep (from compressing the caliper, if I had to guess). Left turns make the van kind of wobble.

I really need to stop driving this, lol.

I'm sure the idlers and prolly most everything else is toast. I'm in a conundrum about what to fix and let go on this unit; being that it is a $500 beater and all.

I put a used torsion bar in it so I could keep it going, a used spider and lines, brake lines, tinkered with and fixed other stuff, and swapped on other misc used parts I had around, but other than fluid changes and basic maintenance, I hate to put much money in it since it is 186,xxx miles, rusty and leaks everything.

It is a gamble, since it could blow tomorrow, or run to 300K.

I'll weigh the options of idlers vs tire life. Humn. :dunce:

Anyone have a left unit bearing cheap????