Mysterious Air Leaks

Topic author
uncle-vinny
I am smitten with my van

Mysterious Air Leaks

Post by uncle-vinny »

My 1988 Astro has full wheel covers. It is red and I found a set of new 1978 Buick wheel covers that are red and made of real stainless steel. In an attempt to dress up the appearance further I purchased a set of 4 Camel chrome valve extensions (pn 38-315-4) to replace the ordinary black plastic extensions. After a number of mysterious flat tires and slow leaks with no apparent cause I found the culprit. I had just installed a new tire on a plain steel wheel that had been sanded and primed to prevent rim leaks. The tire was flat the next day. I re-inflated it and put it the dunk tank. The chrome extension was leaking on both ends. I tried the other 3 and found they leaked on the top if you use a plastic valve cover. The one that leaked on both ends would stop occasionally but if you tap it the leak would start again. They are made with threads on the top which would lead you to believe you can use screw on a cap. Not True! Beware of Camel chrome extensions! I trashed them all.

:supz: :supz: :supz:

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: Mysterious Air Leaks

Post by Rebel »

Thanks for the info Vinny. Good to see you around.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
uncle-vinny
I am smitten with my van

Re: Mysterious Air Leaks

Post by uncle-vinny »

Hey Larry,
How you old man? You recover from the hernia surgery OK? I spent most of 2008 doing a bathroom remodeling job. Started out just putting up some tile. The tile wound up being marble. Had to strip the flooring down to the floor joists and sister them because the floor wasn't level. I finally got done. New floor, walls, toilet and sink. Got a Bathfitters enclosure installed. Finally got some time to work on my van again and cruise the forums. Good talking to you.

:supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: