body mounted spare tire holder

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

body mounted spare tire holder

Post by Moreforles »

this is probably covered in another thread, but does anyone know if the body mounted spare tire holder on the Chevy Blazer would fit an astro/safari without modifying it much or has anyone already done it.

would be nice for my Safari and the Astro (someday to be rv)
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: body mounted spare tire holder

Post by ihatemybike »

Sounds like something that would require a bit of modification. A co-worker has a Blazer, I'll try to remember to look at it later.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

ihatemybike wrote:Sounds like something that would require a bit of modification. A co-worker has a Blazer, I'll try to remember to look at it later.
any updates...... I still want to mount spare externally, but not under neath (out of site is out of mind, not the best thing when dealing with something you might need in an emergency.....)

I have air pressure indicators on my tires, a green indicator shows when pressure is 27lbs or higher, I like to have one on my spare to, check on pressure with a glance...
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Completely forgot. The person with the Blazer no longer works for my company, quick look in the parking lot this morning revealed no other Blazers.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

it appears your white van already has an external spare, why not use a holder like that? are you meaning the ones off of blazers that hinge open?
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

yes, the ones that hinge open... and the one in the avatar, that's actually not mine..... it's what I hope mine ends up looking like when I'm done working on it...... mine isn't in that good a shape (yet)

I'll post some pics now that I got it to the new house.... got a yard full of astros now.....

96 Safari (my work van)

94 high top conversion (white one) (SDTBRV)

and newest 88 shorty window van (to be my wife's when I get it running again)

I was looking spare holder for the Safari first (since it's full of carpet cleaning gear....)

thinking along the lines of a hitch haul with tire holder for the 94 some day to be RV

I looked under the 88 and no spare, cable and tire holders rusted away, so a tire holder for it might be a good idea (along with a spare to mount on it....)

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

if it makes you feel any better i dont carry a spare, the stock donuts are far to small to use with the AWDs and as i have to sets of wheels winter/summer both with slightly different offsets and tire sizes i did not want to buy to full size spares. i figure if i ever have a flat thats why i have AAA.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

I don't have a service, but do have L and S towing, but he runs on his own time zone, so might have to have lunch while waiting...

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Gnarli, there is an option with the 'donut' spare.(99 and newer)........pull the fuse for the AWD.
I had a flat in the Smokie Mts.,...had no cell service,nearest SStation was 25 miles. Glad I remembered the fuse trick :supz:
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

The only way to properly mount a spare on the arse-end of our trucks is by reinforicing the door. Observe....

End of discussion.... :smurf:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Xephius
I get chills without my van.

Post by Xephius »

Note: Do not rear-end Peter....

I will keep my spare nicely tucked up and out of the way hidden by my skirts. Does anyone know the largest spare that will mount in the stock location?

-X
-=John=-
1995 Chevy Panel Wagon - Stillen Body Kit, 3" Drop, Rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, 18" Wheels with Yokohama Wrappers. LT1- .060 Hyper Pistons, Blueprinted and balanced, all ARP, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6:1 SS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Elderbrock Headers, PCM Tuned with LT4 Knock Module, Aeromotive AFPR, 2800 Stall, Hardened 4L60E, Posi 3.72:1 Diff
Getting:
100HP Shot Zex Wet Nitrous Kit.... Why? If you have to ask, you won't understand....

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

dunedog wrote:Gnarli, there is an option with the 'donut' spare.(99 and newer)........pull the fuse for the AWD.
I had a flat in the Smokie Mts.,...had no cell service,nearest SStation was 25 miles. Glad I remembered the fuse trick :supz:
I have the switch installed to turn my AWD on and off, but basically I wouldnt be caught dead rolling on a donut no matter how short of a trip it might be, I guess its more of an ego thing than an AWD issue with me.

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

GnarliSafari wrote:
dunedog wrote:Gnarli, there is an option with the 'donut' spare.(99 and newer)........pull the fuse for the AWD.
I have the switch installed to turn my AWD on and off, but basically I wouldnt be caught dead rolling on a donut no matter how short of a trip it might be, I guess its more of an ego thing than an AWD issue with me.
in your case, maybe two spares (don't have to be new.... just hold air) mounted on the roof.....

another option, or addition to option is to mount the spare to the door and some how have it swivel/tilt, and have a flat work surface handy..... saw one on a teardrop trailer.... that swung out and swiveled down for use as a table.... thought that would be pretty usefull (as a work table not a eat at table... front seats are fine for eating in.....)

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Xephius wrote:Note: Do not rear-end Peter....

I will keep my spare nicely tucked up and out of the way hidden by my skirts. Does anyone know the largest spare that will mount in the stock location?
-X

I've got a 255/70 16 tucked under there. (I just made you say "underwear"). Thats 30" diameter and its tight. Real tight.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

had to cut the cable to get the Flat temp spare out from under the rear of the Safari while changing the rear end.... rim is huge on it... don't know where they got the idea it would cut weight by not putting a full size tire under it, with normal sized rim.... 88 must have lost its spare sometime in the past.... rusted out tire holds hanging there, not much left of it...