possible wheel bearing noise?

Topic author
DANVAN
I get chills without my van.

possible wheel bearing noise?

Post by DANVAN »

I just bought this 2000 2wd astro.
There is this humming noise from the front end, seems to be from the right side front.
When I turn right and roll the body weight off the r/s the noise disapears. It gets louder if I turn left and roll body weight onto the r/s.
Am I correct in thinking this is a r/s wheel bearing?
The previous owner says its the tires but I dont think it is.
Some times going straight down the road the noise isnt even there at all, then comes back.
If I do the bearings I need races too correct? Its been years since I did this stuff.
Do I need a brass bunch to remove and install the races?
Hopefully I can just do the one bad side. Dont have extra money to sink into this after just buying it.
Thanks
Dan
2000 LS Astro, fully loaded- the daily driver, 2WD, 3.23
1993 B250 Dodge van, fully custom- the weekend driver 5.2, 3.91
and 3 ATV's

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: possible wheel bearing noise?

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I would get it apart ASAP! If I remember correctly the races are part of the rotor assembly. I only ever replaced a set of rotors on a 2WD one time and the new races were included with the rotors. I am not sure if they were pressed in or not.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

I tried to look up the parts from two sources and they listed the rotors or the bearings,but I couldn't find races for sale.Plan on replacing the seals for sure in either case.I'll try to get you more info tomorrow.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

the races are cast as part of the rotor/hub not removable (at least on the ones in my warehouse) and when you buy the bearings to go with it you get races with them too but you can't use them. you really should do them in pairs if one side is shot the other should be right behind it and the parts weren't very expensive last time i did it. If i remember correctly we did both sides and new pads for $150
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Topic author
DANVAN

Post by DANVAN »

So this means I have to replace the rotor along with the bearing? Or can I get away with just the bearings?
I would think if I did one rotor, I should do both sides correct.
This doesnt sound like a tire noise right? I was thinking about swapping tires around this morning to see if the noise changes, but if you dont think its the tires it would save me some time.
The guy I bought it from told me to check the wheel bearing greese, he said that would tell be if a bearing was failing, I never heard of that before. I guess I can go out and pull the caps and look for a difference in greese from each side.

Thanks
Dan
and 3 ATV's

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Well it sounds like you got the answer about the races.I honestly don't think your going to see much just by looking at the greese.Some of the worn bearings might be held in place while they are still on the van.If you take it apart it might force you to fix it before you can drive it again.That is not to say you should continue to drive the van before you fix it.It all depends on if the cast-in races are bad once you take it apart.I did look at the pricing for you yr and found it to be quite pricey with the speed sensors for the ABS rotors.I hope you have good luck finding the cast races in good shape.Update us when you can.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Topic author
DANVAN

Post by DANVAN »

If the race looks OK, do u think I can leave it and just replace the bearing?
Dan
and 3 ATV's

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Well if the races is ok,then sure you can.Those bearings don't come packed with greese,so you might want to get a tube of it and a greese packing tool which is pretty cheap to buy.Also remember to buy the greese seals with the bearings.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

We are not ruling out tires, so a simple rotation could work.

While the tires are off, pull the calipers, removed the castle nut and carefully pull the rotor off. The outer small bearing will fall out so you can wipe it down and inspect real easy. The inner larger bearing will not fall out due to the seal holding it in. You can probably wipe it down and inspect it as well just to get an idea. If you see any galling, pitting, rust etc on the bearing and/or race they will need replacing. If you have new seals already, pop the old one off and pull the inner bearing for a washdown and inspection. If you have a camera, post up some pics.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Cobra wrote:the races are cast as part of the rotor/hub not removable (at least on the ones in my warehouse) and when you buy the bearings to go with it you get races with them too but you can't use them. you really should do them in pairs if one side is shot the other should be right behind it and the parts weren't very expensive last time i did it. If i remember correctly we did both sides and new pads for $150

You have to use a brass drift/ drift punch and drive the old races out and install the new ones using the old ones. this is how it has been with every year safari I have every owned with multiple rotor suppliers.... Bearings and races are machined as a matched set. If you use a different race with an un matched bearing it increases wear.

There is no race for the spindle side tho.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

potskie wrote:
Cobra wrote:the races are cast as part of the rotor/hub not removable (at least on the ones in my warehouse) and when you buy the bearings to go with it you get races with them too but you can't use them. you really should do them in pairs if one side is shot the other should be right behind it and the parts weren't very expensive last time i did it. If i remember correctly we did both sides and new pads for $150

You have to use a brass drift/ drift punch and drive the old races out and install the new ones using the old ones. this is how it has been with every year safari I have every owned with multiple rotor suppliers.... Bearings and races are machined as a matched set. If you use a different race with an un matched bearing it increases wear.

There is no race for the spindle side tho.
Well Pots is right sort of.I called Advance auto parts and told them I had a RWD 2000 Astro.They told me the races come with the inner and outer bearings.Sorry I didn't get off my lazy bass to help you this morning.As Dean said try to rotate you tires before hand.Good luck with your repair.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Yes the races are replaceable in your 2wd hub, your new bearings should come with new races, because they are a machined matched pair.

Use a new grease seal on each hub also, and make sure that you smear a little grease or vasaline on the grease lip to lubricate.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
DANVAN

Post by DANVAN »

Thanks for all the replys.

I did swap the left and right front tires and then drove it, same exact noise was present.

I then went and bought a set of bearings with races and took the rotor with me. The guy in the auto parts stored thought the same thing I did, that the race would come out of the rotor, but he did not have a brass punch and neither did the next closest hardware store. So I attempted to remove the race with a steel punch and couldnt get it out. I used a rag over the end of the punch so I wouldnt damage it. I finally gave up trying to remove the race before damage ocured.

I put the new bearings in with old races, new seal and new greese. I did pack the bearings with my bearing packer.

Took it for a ride and had a different noise. Back home, re-tightened the bearing which now was much looser then it was before, re-roadtested and I was back to the same bearing type noise I had started with. The only difference is now once the van warms up, the noise dissapers.

I had it out 3 times today since doing the bearings and its the same each time. Noise there when I 1st start driving, then it goes away in a few miles. I think the heat of the bearings or greese has somthing to do with it.

Once the noise on the right side is gone, I now hear a very faint bearing sound from the left side. So I guess I will be doing the L/S next. Possibly even be re-doing the R/S now that I know the races do come out. Plus I will have time now to look for a brass punch.

Thanks again for all the help. I will be around asking a bunch more questions for a while since I have a few bugs to work out of this new-to-me 2000 astro.
Dan
and 3 ATV's

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

i know it seems silly but, while it's all apart.. for the heck of it rotate your tires. i have a set of tires on my 99 2wd right now that are louder than anything i've run. these vans are bad for cupping the treads on tires, so if you don't rotate very regularlly ... well you can guess the rest. worth a shot being that you already have it apart..... and it's free to try it
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
DANVAN

Post by DANVAN »

I swaped tires left to right in the front, didnt go front to rear. The noise didnt change at all.
Dan
and 3 ATV's