Front Crossmember removal/modification

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Front Crossmember removal/modification

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Has anyone cut out and flipped over their front crossmember? Is that even possible? After doing my lift the crossmember just looks lame hanging down so low to the ground. I was thinking I could cut it out, flip it over and weld it back on. Looks like there will be enough space to do it. Or perhaps welding in a square tube to take its place would be better. Any thoughts?
01-29-08 192a.jpg
01-29-08 178a.jpg
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Front Crossmember removal/modification

Post by astrozam »

Hmmm,interesting idea,I don't believe it has been done YET!,what about the bars coming in from the back? would be best to compare to an AWD I don't think they have the crossbar in the same place due to the front diff,but i could be wrong.

Lift spindles are another option (albeit more expensive tho) if the ground clearance is the major issue over just the look of it hanging down.

You could add a skid plate,kinda give it that mini pre-runner look,some have done that.

madslammer
I get chills without my van.

Post by madslammer »

Man, is this a good question or what? ! ! !
=D>
I think there can be a way to address this situation.. . . :-k
The crossmember gives support to front bars underneath the van. So moving the crossmember would be an issue, but what if you could weld in a square tube between the frame ends and then replace the reinforcement bars with some smaller square tubbing that is bent in a way that both, works and clears the stabilizer bar. Then you could fabricate a skid plate to kind of make the bars disappear. . . Once you replace the bumper cover all one would see is the skid plate. . . :yawinkle:
Hope this helps. . .
'97 Astro 2wd, lowered 4" w/Belltech spindles and drop leafs.
'87 Astro 2wd, lifted, pretty close to 4" all around.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

You should be very careful messing with the cross member. It gives major strength to the front end and suspension parts etc.
You may consider just installing a plastic spoiler below the bumper or even some fog light to hide the cross member.

Also, paint the visible part of the cross member flat black to conceal it a bit.

I have a 2003 AWD Astro and I have used the bottom of the cross member to attach heavy steel plate to set up a place to mount some front recovery hooks.

My old photos are found in the thread on Recovery strap etc.
My old design was a bit weak since I used 5/8 eye bolts for the recovery hooks.
I am in the process of installing some GM from tow hooks from a 1 ton Chevy truck. these hooks are much stonger.

I am also replacing the 7 gauge steel (about 3/16 inch ) plate (USP structural starp 5 inch by 21inch pn KHST5)
with the USP pn KHST6 which is 3 gauge steel (about 1/4 inch thick) and is 6 x 25 inch .

I will cut out the plastic oval knockouts in my oem plastic spoiler below the bumper to allow acess to the tow hooks.

I have also posted a home made stainless steel light bar that is my from one of the new curved motel style shower bars.
those photos are on the site under interior or ?

good luck

Astrophysics

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

photos did not upload
I have a cold and maybe I did something wrong...

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

whoops files are too big.

I will try again later, after I save the photos at lower resolution

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Did you install the 2 inch Overland Van body lift kit?
what year is your van?
thanks

Astrophysics

dean89
I get chills without my van.

Post by dean89 »

I think that adding a section of box tubing straight across or flipping the existing one over if there is room would be just fine. The first gen subframes do not have anything there.
ImageImageImage
1989 Astro, 3" DJM drop, 5.7 tbi
1991 Chevrolet C1500 4.3 tbi 5spd 4-6" DJM drop (brother's truck)
1983 Chevrolet K20 350/4spd, 3.5" lift w/35's

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I like the way the front end looks without the bumper cover. I thought about a skid plate, but I think it will subtract from the overall look of the van as far as being lifted. The tapered ends of the crossmember are pretty thin. Even though it is about 4" wide where it welds to the frame that is also where the holes are for the subframe bolts. They're huge holes, so very little of that crossmember is actually welded to the subframe. If I kicked it hard enough it would probably bend! :muhaha: I'm also thinking if I weld in a square (or rectangular) tube I can make a winch mount.

I also have a massive brush gaurd that needs a solid place to bolt on, but I'm still debating over what type of bumper I'm gonna put on first. The one I have in mind is over 50 years old! But that's all I can say about that for now. :-k And the nice 2" gap will be filled in with the same stuff that will cover 1/3 of the body.....also a secret. I will be starting a build thread soon. I figured I wait until I have the basic lift in place before posting any pics.

I'm thinking the guys who have done the AWD straight axle conversion probably know something about welding in a new crossmember? As far as I can tell, there is nothing on my '97 2WD that will be affected by flipping the existing one or welding in a new one. Looks straightforward.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I welded in a 3" square piece of 3/8" thick tubing right at the end of the frame horns. I mount the front eye of the leaf springs to it so I know it is very strong! I did not remove the stock cross member, but we did have to notch the ends.

(I will post pics once photobucket starts working! ](*,) )
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy