'98 AWD Steering Box

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

'98 AWD Steering Box

Post by WE7X »

I think I am probably going to have to replace my steering box.
It has 212K and is getting pretty sloppy, but I have not yet attempted to adjust it, so I may get lucky and geta bit more life out of it.
So, I was looking at possibilities for replacement A/S AWD power steering boxes, and notice several listings showing boxes that fit years from the mid 80's to 1995 and then from 1999 to 2005; skipping 1996, '97 and '98. There are many listings on e-bay for reman units with that application gap. The '96, '97 and '98 units are listed separately.
Does any body know what seems to be the difference, in the '96, '97' and '98 years?

Rod J aka WE7X
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: '98 AWD Steering Box

Post by WE7X »

When I took the 'sloppy steering' '98 AWD to have the steering components checked out. They everything looked to have been recently replaced with MOOG parts (and I had been told almost everything had been replaced with MOOG parts by the PO); except for the sloppy steering box.
I was quoted only 2 hours labor to replace it. I had expected it would likely take me all day to do the job, if I was lucky, and if I found the ambition to make enough room in the garage to do the work.
I decided to bite the bullet and have a Read Hat steering gear installed. (Red Hat is a local re-builder that has a great reputation in the Pacific Northwest among the off-road and heavy trucking crowd) The Red Hat steering boxes are a bit more expensive than the run of the mill rebuilds, but I think worth the extra money for the quality reputation and the local support. Also, having it installed by a reputable shop should help if there is a warranty claim.
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Let us know how it goes...I just replaced everything up to the pitman arm and while it feels good, its not as tight as I had expected. That said, I haven't drove a car in over 4 years, so it could just be that, but am curious to follow along.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

I got my sloppy steering '98 AWD back from the shop, with the new steering box. It is quite an improvement.
They quoted me two hours labor, but they had the van up in the air early in the morning, and did not get finished with the installation until the end of the day. They kept the van overnight, so they could do the alignment this morning. They only billed two hours as originally quoted, so they were true to the estimate.
It does not wander now, so it drives MUCH better, but it is a bit stiff. It may loosen up with a bit more driving, but I called the shop to get the potential concern documented....just in case there is a problem down the road.
The shop manager told me they would adjust it, if it did not loosen up a bit in the next couple of hundred miles.

Rod
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi WE7X,

Good to hear on the steering box.
I just installed new powering steering pump GM 19319825; and the 2 new high pressure hoses.
Since 2003 Astro has hydro boost brake booster, the high pressure hose from ps pump to hydro boost, GM 19148121,
And 2nd high pressure hose from hydro boost to steering Bo's, GM 19147047.

The front diff on AWD blocks access from below,
So removed clutch fan using 1 7/16" open end wrench (36mm) and Lowes Kobalt rubber 6" strap wrench to keep water pump pulley from moving, o have better access from above.

AP
Attachments
2003 AWD new power steering pump
2003 AWD new power steering pump

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

More photos
Attachments
2003 AWD ps pump etc
2003 AWD ps pump etc

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

'Astro'
Even with the radiator etc. removed, it looks to be a pain to get at.
How long did it take you?
Rod J
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Yes, it took a long time but, I have extra cars and Astro is project rig.

I like the challenge and it lets me justify getting lots of tools.

One key thing about the Astro is that once the air cleaner stuff and radiator shroud is out of the way, most stuff like alternator is not bad.

Also, to make it fast to remove the top radiator shroud, I cut it with jig saw into 2 pieces. There are enogh bolts to secure it, and a 3" length of mending plate and 1/4" bolts to make an extra top bracket on top of shroud.

AP
Attachments
2003 AWD Astro
2003 AWD Astro

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Astro AWD front diff and drift shaft etc, does kinda get in the way of changing the oil cooler lines. In fact to get clearance to install the Dorman cooler lines, just lower the front diff in its mounting bracket.

AP
Attachments
No231C t case installed
No231C t case installed

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

I want to Shout-out to a Less Schwab Tire Store, for stepping up the extra effort to help with a steering box issue.

It has been over a year (May 2108) since I had the new steering box installed, and I had immediately complained to the installer that it was 'tight'.
I was told to "let it loosen up a bit".
I now have a couple of thousand mile on the unit (actually a bit under 3000 miles in over a year-still not sure where they all were), and it is still stiff.
I contacted the local Les Schwab store (installer, and a huge tire store chain in the western part of the US), and dropped off the van, assuming they would attempt to adjust the steering box. The next day, they called and told me they agreed it was too stiff, but they would not adjust a nearly new steering box, and I was told it was out-of-warranty ( one year from Less Schwab) and that the rebuilder also only had a one-year warranty.
After expressing some 'frustration' over being told to " Put some miles on it" with no mention of a one-year limitation, then talking with the manager etc; they agreed to take it up the issue with the rebuilder.
I was a mechanic, and medium sized repair shop owner for many years, and now have six vehicles that the Les Schwab store sees and works on; so I trust them and have referred several folks to them. I was a bit shaken by this turn of events.
After some discussion, the Les Schwab manager got the rebuilder to agree to replace the box; and between them, they also covered the installation cost. The work was scheduled immediately, and the work done quickly, including a new alignment. The van drives much better now.
The manager and the technician both agreed the box was too tight, and were very professional in handling the situation, once they understood why I had waited over a year.
They never once mentioned me paying for anything, and even turned down my offer to pay for the alignment.
Rod J
issaquah, WA
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA