2003 safari largest tires 2" lift

Topic author
tstol
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

2003 safari largest tires 2" lift

Post by tstol »

I posted the following on off-road as well...

Hey ya'll,

I'm SURE this topic has been beaten to death. This is my first forum and I couldn't get the search to pull up what I am looking for. I'm sure it's user error. I apologize in advance for a repeated topic.

I purchased a 2003 GMC Safari AWD. I just received my Overland 2" lift with shocks. I would like to purchase the largest possible tires without scraping or minimal trimming (which I've never done, but a friend did on his Jeep Cherokee). I can use the stock wheels, but I can also purchase new wheels. However, I'm having trouble figuring out what wheels/tires to get. So if I could get the following 2 questions answered it would be greatly appreciated (2" lift, winter driving):

1) Largest tires on stock wheels
2) Largest tire on aftermarket wheels w/recommended wheel size

Thanks!

TStol

WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: 2003 safari largest tires 2" lift

Post by WE7X »

If you did not already find the information you need, I would suggest you go to the Overland Suspension site. There is a a lot of information there on the subject of tires, suspension and lifting etc.
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,
Your 2003 has nice 6 lug 16" wheels. The OEM wheels are good since they are hub centric. Stay away from cheap after market style wheels which are not hub centric. Also, get a full size spare wheel and tire to replace the skinny temporary spare that came with the vehicle.

On my 2003 AWD with 2" lift, I have BFG KO tires, LT225-70/16 on second set of wheels. And a set of Michelin P225-70/16 tires on OEM alloy rims. No rubbing. With your 3.42 axle ratio, you may not want to go too tall on tires, since your acceleration will suffer. Also, when you compare tires on Tire a Rack, make note of the weight of bigger tires. OEM tires weigh about 28 lbs, big tires may weigh 33 pounds. This reduce gas mileage a bit too . Try to find OEM wheels if possible. Also, your 2003 has larger front brake calipers which is good. But old alloy wheels from 96 to 1999 Chevy Tahoe which are same bolt pattern may not clear caliper on from of 2003 Safari.'

Every thing is a trade off.

AP
Attachments
Measure inside clearance to make sure it clears front brake calipers if you get a second set of wheels.
Measure inside clearance to make sure it clears front brake calipers if you get a second set of wheels.

WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

Astrophysics,
Thank you for the post which mentioned
hub centric' wheels.
I have been in the car business as both a profession or a hobby for nearly fifty years, and the subject of 'hub centric' wheels has come up many times, but not using that specific term. I had to look it up.
I agree it is very important to get wheels that 'fit' the hub of the axle. I drove a used motor home across the country many years ago. I had a wheel on a dually rear axle come loose in Texas, causing a huge vibration. It had sheared off a couple of the wheel studs, and several others were coming loose (probably from stretching)
The tire shop pointed out that specific wheel was not correct for the axle it was mounted on, and probably was at least partially causing the failure.
Needless to say, I have been aware of that potential problem ever since.

Rod J
'98 LS AWD Forest Metallic Green
Issaquah, WA
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA