AWD swap for Astro-based RV?

Topic author
ball
I am smitten with my van

AWD swap for Astro-based RV?

Post by ball »

OK, so this idea is out of left field, but here it goes.

There is an old (87) Astro-based RV for sale semi-locally. It's stripped and needs a lot of work, but it runs and is advertised as only having 66k miles.

I happen to own a '94 AWD Astro with a blown engine. I can also pick one up locally for cheap. The one I own is in another state so it's probably easier just to buy another one. Both options have a 'W' engine.

I have replaced the tranny on my AWD which necessitated taking apart the front suspension, but of course not the sub-chassis. I have access to a monster air tool to take the sub-chassis bolts off.

Questions:

1) What AWD Astro front-ends would be compatible with the '87 rear-end? I know AWD came out in 1990, but I don't know if any modifications to the rear chassis were made.

2) Assuming these are compatible parts, how difficult would it be to marry them?

In my mind even though the RV engine only has 66k, it's probably a TBI engine (Z?) and while I DO have access to an engine lift I see no reason to swap them (maybe you have different thoughts). Basically, I see the process as unbolting the sub-chassis, lifting (tipping) both Astros back, rolling the AWD front-end under the RV, bolting it back, having the drive shaft shortened, and probably swapping the rear axle since the ratios probably won't match.

How insane is this thought experiment? I'll need to know soon as I'll have access to the shop and I've already sourced a donor van which will only set me back $500.

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: AWD swap for Astro-based RV?

Post by Captn. Crunch »

My My My but someone is feeling ambitious! Love it! I'm a gen II guy so I don't have hands on expeience with the models you speak of but that being said...
AWD front ends used the same diff from start to finish. The 7.2" aluminum clamshell style. GM did go from a 5to 6 stud hub for 03-05 but I believe there was not many changes made to the AWD steering componentry throughout the life of the van. Your parts counter guy would know more. There where several ratios used so check your RPO stickers to judge compatabitity.
I don't believe there where any major changes made to the rear axle assy. during the production run. Early vans may have the 7.5" while later in the run GM went to the 7.625". Not a major change. Hangers and perches probably unaffected.
Early AWD had the BW 4472 tc. Non electric viscous coupling units that don't care where they live they just work. Make sure your tires are the same size all around. Miss-matched tires are a coupling killer.
Let us know what you decide-sounds like a fun project and a capable unit when your done.
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Topic author
ball
I am smitten with my van

Post by ball »

Unfortunately he's not getting back to me so he either sold it, kicked the bucket, or who knows what.

It honestly didn't sound like that much work. I'll keep my eyes open for another one.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

I pulled the subframe complete with eng/trans/diff etc out of a 95 VinW Awd.
I rolled that whole assembly under my factory 5 speed 2wd 87 vinZ van.
I reused the vinZ tbi and intake onto the 95 VinW engine.
I put a 5speed in place of the 95 automatic trans.
Easy peasy. I took it wheelin today ;)
the subframes physically fit between all years, 2wd and awd.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

PITA
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by PITA »

doyoulikeithere wrote:I pulled the subframe complete with eng/trans/diff etc out of a 95 VinW Awd.
I rolled that whole assembly under my factory 5 speed 2wd 87 vinZ van.
I reused the vinZ tbi and intake onto the 95 VinW engine.
I put a 5speed in place of the 95 automatic trans.
Easy peasy. I took it wheelin today ;)
the subframes physically fit between all years, 2wd and awd.
I've been researching doing this to my 1990 RWD Astro Tiger, been trying to find out if swapping the subframe and drivetrain from a 90-95 AWD to mine would be a bolt-on project without any fabrication. Been hard for me to find someone who has actually done it so thanks for chiming in! I would love to chat with you sometime in detail about this if you don't mind.

Topic author
ball
I am smitten with my van

Post by ball »

Mine is being sold in SW Utah/N AZ in case you happen to need parts and are in the area...