22-1195HD questions

Topic author
bunce1260
I am merely driving my van

22-1195HD questions

Post by bunce1260 »

I'd hate to count the number of hours I've spent reading about springs. But I think I've come to a conclusion on what I want.

I was initially going to just install the longer shackles, but the bolt will not come out of the current spring. So, I saw this as an opportunity to upgrade the springs and make my life a bit easier in one go.
My van is a 2003 AWD Astro.

I want to lift the rear slightly ( I also have shackles I'll be installing ). But how much does the 22-1195HD actually lift the rear?
I want the Astro to handle better, be less mushy/wallowy ( I also have Bilstein HD's to install).
I want to be able to pull a trailer or put a hitch mount cargo box on the rear.

Now these springs are rated to 1700 lbs, and from what I've read will do what I want. The issue I read about however is a thicker pack of leaves, therefore the stock clamshell is not in it's prime position and some consider this to be unsafe.

How are these supposed to be installed and how did you install yours?
2004 AWD. S10 4" rear springs. 2" Body spacers. Prothane body bushings. Insulated. Ventline VP543 roof fan. Hella 500's. Tru-cool 4454. Bilstein shocks. Brembo. Hawk.LED bar. 235/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATM
www.instagram.com/vango_life
www.VanGoLife.com

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: 22-1195HD questions

Post by Captn. Crunch »

If you have questions about how best to mount their hardware I suggest calling SD Truck Springs and talk to their tech folks. I love their products. I'm running the S10 leaf pack with 2" body spacers. The only issue I had was having to buy a new shackle after I broke the rusty original. If anyone has these particular leafs on their van maybe you would have something to add...
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

If you just want to raise the rear, I'd look at the 22-687s instead. It's important not to confuse ride height (and arch height) with load rating - I wouldn't go from 1350lbs to 1700lbs ratings unless you really plan to carry a lot of weight in the rear on a regular basis. You will have more trouble damping the movement and it will ride more harshly. Plus, then you don't have any issues with the clamshell.

If you really need the extra capacity for real load, there's also the 22-687HD which have the extra leaf, but aren't quite as thick as the 22-1195HDs so they may work better with the stock clamshell.

But I'd still stick with the 22-687.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
bunce1260

Post by bunce1260 »

I'm not looking for a 4" lift though, and I was under the impression the springs you mention will lift the rear 4". I'm looking for 2-3 so I don't have to replace front end parts as frequently.
I'd would be great if I was wrong as the S10 springs are a tad cheaper and more straightforward to install.
2004 AWD. S10 4" rear springs. 2" Body spacers. Prothane body bushings. Insulated. Ventline VP543 roof fan. Hella 500's. Tru-cool 4454. Bilstein shocks. Brembo. Hawk.LED bar. 235/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATM
www.VanGoLife.com

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

bunce1260 wrote:I'm not looking for a 4" lift though, and I was under the impression the springs you mention will lift the rear 4". I'm looking for 2-3 so I don't have to replace front end parts as frequently.
I'd would be great if I was wrong as the S10 springs are a tad cheaper and more straightforward to install.
If you stick with the stock shackle, the 22-687s will probably be closer to 3-4". Mine was 4" initially, but settled back to 3" and that was when I swapped from the stock shackles to the Overland lift shackles.

If you don't want a big lift, that's another reason to stay away from 1700lb load springs - you likely won't have enough mass to compress them into "normal" operating range. (Unless you're frequently running heavily loaded...)
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior

Topic author
bunce1260

Post by bunce1260 »

Herbie wrote:
bunce1260 wrote:I'm not looking for a 4" lift though, and I was under the impression the springs you mention will lift the rear 4". I'm looking for 2-3 so I don't have to replace front end parts as frequently.
If you stick with the stock shackle, the 22-687s will probably be closer to 3-4". Mine was 4" initially, but settled back to 3" and that was when I swapped from the stock shackles to the Overland lift shackles.

If you don't want a big lift, that's another reason to stay away from 1700lb load springs - you likely won't have enough mass to compress them into "normal" operating range. (Unless you're frequently running heavily loaded...)

Wouldn't I have to relocate shocks, crank the torsion bars etc. if I did that? I was really trying to keep this simple.
www.VanGoLife.com

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Well, there's no rule that you have to raise the front just because you raise the rear, but if you're looking for a simple modest lift, then you have a range of choices.

This thread started with you trying to change to lift shackles, right? That alone starts to move you towards all the things you just mentioned (longer shocks or relocate tabs, raise front to match, etc.) If you're only going up an inch or so in the rear, you might be fine to leave everything else alone, I guess.

If you don't want to raise the front, then it sounds like you're not really in the market for a lift. Maybe the best option is to resolve whatever problem you're having with the shackle bolts on the OEM springs...

Topic author
bunce1260

Post by bunce1260 »

Herbie wrote:Well, there's no rule that you have to raise the front just because you raise the rear, but if you're looking for a simple modest lift, then you have a range of choices.

This thread started with you trying to change to lift shackles, right? That alone starts to move you towards all the things you just mentioned (longer shocks or relocate tabs, raise front to match, etc.) If you're only going up an inch or so in the rear, you might be fine to leave everything else alone, I guess.

If you don't want to raise the front, then it sounds like you're not really in the market for a lift. Maybe the best option is to resolve whatever problem you're having with the shackle bolts on the OEM springs...

Here it is from the beginning.
Ive bought the 2" lift spacers for the front and shackles for the rear.
I tried unbolting the pass. side spring from the shackle but they absolutely cannot be seperated by a stubborn bolt that beat me after a day of wrestling.
I figure its a sign to replace and upgrade the springs.
Ideally id just like a mild lift, 2-3". But looking at various springs I have a few options but none of them seem to be ideal for the 2-3" lift. The astro hd spring which you said would be too firm as I wont be loaded up the majority of time. Then theres the s10 springs which I believe give a 4"lift with the stock shackle. A little higher than I want, we still want to be able to stealth camp.
With the airbagit shackles, whats the lowest lift I can get out of the s10 1450lb springs as it looks like this is the direction im being forced towards?

I'd then have to get 30" tires to make the van look like it deserves the lift.
Also I'm aware I dont need to crank the front torsion bars all the way up but I dont want to be arse up in the air.

Thanks for the help btw.
www.VanGoLife.com