interesting info I found for 94 Astro/Safari's

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
markinnh
I finally get the smurf thing

interesting info I found for 94 Astro/Safari's

Post by markinnh »

Ok I own a 94 AWD Astro van and looked into improving things such as mileage and performance.
This is what I found: the 94's are similar to the 95 but the 95 is OBD1.5 where as the 94 is OBD 1 but it is not programmable nor does it have a prom. So I searched and searched and found out if you want to modify the Engine in any way other then a hotter coil or a better air filter you can't
Then I looked into the difference between the 93's and the 94's and found the 93 has the same transmission and engine management. So after alot of reading on alot of websites and trying to find (unsuccessfully) electrical diagrams and such for both I figured out that the best way to do it is to find a 93 TBI'd Astro in a salvage yard and get the harness and remove it then when I get my 4.3 finished rebuilding I will put the harness , PCM and my TBI 4.3 into my 94 astro with CPI.
Then have a custom chip burned to run it all. This will be in a year or so depending on how well my wife's health is.... Opinions are welcome pertaining to this idea, Mark
always tinkering with stuff

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: interesting info I found for 94 Astro/Safari's

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Lockdoc did the CPI to TBI (350) swap and has it documented here in the V8 section. It was a bunch of work but turned ok really nice. Check his thread out for ideas. Sounds like a good plan. Too bad you are going backwards to TBI as they were the lesser HP engines. The CPI's were the 190 - 200 HP ones.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
markinnh
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: interesting info I found for 94 Astro/Safari's

Post by markinnh »

I am using the CPI engine just switching it to TBI simply because CPI is junk and TBI is easy to rebuild and modify. I also found this: http://support.moates.net/92-95-4l60e-4l80e-tbi-trucks/
always tinkering with stuff