Finally fix my “Possessed!” door locks!

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
Drummernaut
I finally get the smurf thing

Finally fix my “Possessed!” door locks!

Post by Drummernaut »

My intermittent symptoms with key fob or door switch were:

Door locks locking with no input.
Driver door solenoid not working but all others worked. (vise versa)
None of the solenoids would work for a day or more.
Solenoids get weak and stop working after a few uses.
Solenoids would cycle almost as fast as I play drums! (Possessed!)
Had to push hard on the lift gate button.

After dealing with this off and on since December, I got a break. I backed down my driveway to load from my garage and I heard my locks lock, then they stopped working. For maybe only the forth time since I have own this vehicle, I used my key to unlock the lift gate and….. POSSESSED!!!!!!

I have included some pictures of the schematics and the lock area. Hopefully it will help some of these lock problems with other owners.

The switch spring worked good but I found carbon buildup in the switch causing the lift gate button to intermittently work but also building high enough to conduct the ring on another contact causing all the lock problems. Very common problem in my line of work.

Be sure and mark all positions on the switch as you take it apart.

This is for a 1999 Astro.
Attachments
IMG_0058.jpg
IMG_0056.jpg
IMG_0045.jpg
IMG_0052.jpg
I cleaned up the carbon and used some cheap electronic cleaner/lubricator from radio shack.
I cleaned up the carbon and used some cheap electronic cleaner/lubricator from radio shack.