power locks not working

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
justice
I sleep in my van

power locks not working

Post by justice »

the power door locks in my 04 have stopped working. They try to lock and unlock, but they just dont. the are still getting power and i can hear them click, but its almost like they are not getting enough power to actually lock or unlock the doors. and its not just one door, it is both of the front doors. They went from working one day to not working the next. Not sure where to start troubleshooting.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: power locks not working

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Did they even make Astros after about 1990 without power door-locks power windows?

I know how frustrating that is, and that this doesn't help at all, but I was curious if such a thing even exists?
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I'd look for broken wires between the door and the body. It's possible the conductors are broken inside the wire jacket. They may pass enough voltage to make the electromagnets in the actuator make a noise, but lack the current carrying capability to actually cycle the mechanism. The broken ends of the wire might touch and allow some electricity to flow but cant provide a path for the "umph" needed to make it go.

I found 5 broken wires between my door and the body this evening.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

Mine act up in the winter as well. Either the battery is weak or the locks just need lube. Or the wire thingy Cargo said.

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

I'm betting on the winter thing. My '04 Cargo is starting to act up a bit. If I cycle the thing manually a couple times, the electronic can then work just fine. The 1st time manually they move really hard. I think dirty grease getting cold is my doors problem.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Mark C.
I get chills without my van.

Post by Mark C. »

I think 97cargocrawler is on point on this one. I have a buddy that is a GM master mechanic and claims this is a common problem with astro/safaris. He also tells me the wiring goes through the driver door first then through the passenger,so a bad connection in the driver door will affect the passenger door control.

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Mark C. wrote:I think 97cargocrawler is on point on this one. I have a buddy that is a GM master mechanic and claims this is a common problem with astro/safaris. He also tells me the wiring goes through the driver door first then through the passenger,so a bad connection in the driver door will affect the passenger door control.
That sure was a problem on Gen 1 vans. Seems everyone I bought used had that problem, it isn't common on Gen 2s though. 97 Crawler is the only one I personally heard of.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

If GM used this stiff crappy wire in all years of this van then I suspect everyone will have this problem eventually.

The door lock actuator does use a heavier gauge wire in the door harness. Those were the only wires NOT broken in mine. Though they are stiffer...it's possible some of the conductors inside the wire jacket are broken. I didn't look. I suspect they are. Seems logical they would have suffered some damage since the other wires are completely severed.

You can always pull the boot back and have a quick peek inside.

infinite.chris
I get chills without my van.

Post by infinite.chris »

I agre. My 89 had manual locks / windows, the 95 has power lock, not pwr windows. Kinda wish it was flip flipped ;) ;)
doyoulikeithere wrote:Did they even make Astros after about 1990 without power door-locks power windows?

I know how frustrating that is, and that this doesn't help at all, but I was curious if such a thing even exists?
[SCRUFFY 95 RWD Astro Cargo :: 227k ]

------------------------------------------------

juan
I am merely driving my van

Post by juan »

I have a 2004 and the two front door locks doesn't work, I didn't see a cable cut, and i does make the click noise. did anyone that had this problem have a good advise? Thanks

Drummernaut
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Drummernaut »

juan wrote:I have a 2004 and the two front door locks doesn't work, I didn't see a cable cut, and i does make the click noise. did anyone that had this problem have a good advise? Thanks
I had a similar problem with my door locks working, not working and doing other strange things. I will try and help. Start by checking this post viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9031

If you have a liftgate/dutch doors this could be your problem if not I still may be able to walk you through a few steps depending on what problem you have.

steinec

Post by steinec »

I'm going to offer the likely culprit-the actuator solenoids. I recently got a great '04 and the first order of business was replacing the 2 front door units, they both acted like they were trying to actuate, moved just a bit but no oomph; When I got my '02 3 years ago it was the same thing. I also have had to clean the 2 contacts on the sliding door to deal with that lock as well as the cabin lighting staying on. I've never had a broken wiring issue on the half dozen stro's I've owned, but I know others have. The best source I've found for the actuators is Rockauto.com, p/n 746014, $23.79 ea..

Leconte

Post by Leconte »

doyoulikeithere wrote:Did they even make Astros after about 1990 without power door-locks power windows?

mine is 01' with no power =(