Astro barely running, 11codes, Help please

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
Vanjoe
I get chills without my van.

Astro barely running, 11codes, Help please

Post by Vanjoe »

I need help with my 98 Astro!
I need to fix it fast so I can tow my camper in 3 days for an annual Salmon fishing trip with my sons and friends.

Two weeks ago it started running just a bit poorly. On cruise control it would drop and raise speed about 5mph on expressway driving. Engine performance got worse over two weeks. I blamed it on bad gas after a fillup. Last Friday on the expressway it started bucking and not taking gas. Seemed like it could be blocked fuel filter or plugged cat converter or dying fuel pump. Speed dropped to 30 mph and 5 miles later to 10mph.

I opened the doghouse, pvc valve was clicking, replaced it, no difference. Pulled fuel filter and it was plugged. Being middle of the night I cleaned it out and blew it out till I could blow thru it by mouth easily. No difference. While in there, I grounded the spark plug wires to test for any dead or missing cylinders..... I mention this because of one of the codes found yesterday.

So, here are the codes I got from autozone....... PO101, PO102, PO108, PO300, PO404, PO420, P1870. Some were multiple.

I also cleaned the MAP sensor in the intake hose. Now, a bit more info...... I did a bunch of work on the van in June before a trip. I replaced many bad vacuum lines. On the trip , the check eng light came on and never turned off which is unusual. Typically it comes on and sets the code for tranny slippage, shifts hard for a bit and then shifting goes back to normal and light turns off. So now I don't know which codes could be old and which are new ones, related to the new situation in the last two weeks.

HELP!!!! What do I do next???? I have run the fuel tank down to fumes, dumped bottles of dry gas in with 3 gallons of gas. Then added another 5 gallons to dilute whatever is left in there. Right now my fuel filter could be plugged again. I am installing a new one asap. But what do I start with with these codes???
Am I looking at an EGR valve that just needs cleaning? The codes also suggest a large? vacuum leak, BUT, I can't imagine I didn't hear it while I was in there.
More info...... it starts fine, idles, I can rev it up but once in gear can only give it gas just over idle before it stumbles, leaving a light at more gas it will buck like its out of gas and it seems to stay like this getting up to speed. It just won't pickup speed enough to shift into 3rd without letting off and letting it shift. Enough info...... help please!

ooops, it has 154,000 miles on it. I have had it since 95,000. Never replaced any sensors. Exhaust, 02 sensors original. Only engine work has been the coil,wires, cap rotor, dist, water pump, fan clutch. Flushed cooling system earlier this year.

Last Friday, on the trip when it dropped to 30 then 10mph, I blew the rear heater hose. Don't know if it over heated . When I stopped and checked under the hood it was still dumping water so I don't think I drove it dry.

Thanks, Joe

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Astro barely running, 11codes, Help please

Post by 1Gary »

Clear all the codes by disconnecting the battery for like 15 minutes.Then drive it to let the computer relearn it's self.Then the FIRST code is the fault and is likely causing all the rest. :-k
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Use your google-fu to look up those codes. Things to check for will be fuel pressure, good spark, and ignition timing. Also, check if your MAF sensor is dirty.

Good luck.

Topic author
Vanjoe

Post by Vanjoe »

Thanks Gary. but that means driving to AZ again . Currently limping from Williamson to Webster to borrow a car to get to a doc appointment in Rochester .
What do these codes suggest as is ?

Topic author
Vanjoe

Post by Vanjoe »

I did get the printouts on the codes. Common themes are van leak MAP senser, EGR I did cleaner the MAP senser. EGR? where is it?

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

egr wont make a difference unless its badly leaking. MAF is the mass air flow sensor and its located after the air filter. MAP is something different.

Topic author
Vanjoe

Post by Vanjoe »

MAP MAF whatever ..... I removed and cleaned the thingy senser in the hose behind the filter box. The sandwich thing that has the black center between metal. I have a pressure gauge with 1/4 inch pipe thread. What so I need to connect it to check fuel pressure? I have a borrowed car and plan to go buy parts.
Thanks
1998 Astro. Sterling Hi-top Conversion. 1st Second gen owned.
Former ....
90 Astro shorty conversion,$500 short term driver
91 ext Astro bad body,bad motor $325, became a 350/4bl cruiser with all under hood acces working.TOTALED..my fault
88 Astro shorty conversion 177k-270k,threw rod. $2500
85 Astro mint body ...totaled 9 days later...not my fault. Paid $1k, insurance gave me $2k
86 Astro shorty 147k-242k, $2500. sold running!

Topic author
Vanjoe

Post by Vanjoe »

Still working on this! I have always done my own work and have had a few Astros but this is my first 2cd gen Astro. I am lost! I cleaned the MAF in the intake hose. How can I tell if it is bad??? I am now looking for the MAP sensor and can't tell what is what in there. Can anyone help? My pictures and diagrams are showing different year vans I guess. I am not an idiot but am really behind the eight ball on this. Too many sensors and crap.
I did clear the codes by disconnecting the battery and even touching the cables together to discharge any juice in any diodes etc. Left it disconnected for over an hour and when I started it, the check engine light is STILL on. Does this mean codes were NOT cleared or do I have an immediate code? WThell? Currently hunting down vacuum lines looking for Vac leaks. Most all vac tubing was replaced last June. Things look ok. Could I be losing vacuum via a bad intake gasket? I think I may have a small water leak in it at the rear of the engine. Again..... HELP ! I have to tow my 27 ft camper tomorrow for a fishing weekend!
Thanks for any help.
Joe
Former ....
91 ext Astro bad body,bad motor $325, became a 350/4bl cruiser with all under hood acces working.TOTALED..my fault
85 Astro mint body ...totaled 9 days later...not my fault. Paid $1k, insurance gave me $2k

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Joe-what is the first code you got??.

Rochester,NY

Topic author
Vanjoe

Post by Vanjoe »

I don't have a scan tool so I don't know yet. Had people here, landlord and buyers so I couldn't finish my fuel filter so I took lots off the engine to look for leaks and sensors. Gonna have to put it together and drive to AZ in Webster. Will be an hour before I get there. I would welcome any help..... I'll pm my number.
Former ....

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Joe-you need that first code.

Rochester,NY

Topic author
Vanjoe

Post by Vanjoe »

Ok, I know. But...... just pulled an O2 sensor and it revs up, takes gas at high rpms so I am guessing it is plugged cat converter. Now, being the cheap person I am, and just so I can use it tomorrow..... will it work if I drill into it and try to get cap out of it?????? The cat is part of the Y pipe!!!!! Looks very expensive! While I wait for any responses, I'm gonna go shop it for price.
Former ....

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Joe, disconnect the muffler from the cat at the flange between them and clear it out. You should be able to make it run ok that way. The P 420 code says it is a bad cat. You definitely need the other codes. I will PM you some other info.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Vanjoe

Post by Vanjoe »

I didn't want to leave this open ended. I did get my van running and successfully got the camper to the Salmon fishing weekend ,one night late. Three guys slept in a screen house Friday night waiting for me.

It was a plugged Cat converter! All the other codes were old, accumulated since early June.

I typically get the tranny slip code on trips so I tend to ignore the SES light. I did learn that codes CAN NOT be reset by disconnecting the battery on second generation Astros!
On my return trip, Lifted reset the codes with his scan tool. Great guy to meet in real life!
Once I was home,I had it checked at an auto store and the cat was the ONLY CODE! For emergency purposes only, I did remove the plugged up stuff from inside the cat. The van sounds a bit meaner and ran great for getting the camper to the annual fishing trip with my sons and a couple friends. Three of them come from NYC. It is a BIG event for me and I got there for it! Thanks Lifted!!!! I was so busy with getting the van to run..... I never made it to Motor vehicle to register the camper! Oooops! And NO tickets for unregistered camper! Thanks for the help on this. Now I need to shop for a new cat...... anyone know of a brand that breathes a bit better than stock? I did find a 5 year warrenteed unit for $350... Walker I believe.
Joe
Former ....

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Glad to have met and helped you Joe. I put a high flow one off e-bay on my 98 quite a long time ago...it was like $60 back then! Haven't had to buy one since so I really can't recommend one over another.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy