Windshield Washer not pumping

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
thumb
I am merely driving my van

Windshield Washer not pumping

Post by thumb »

I have a '89 Astro van 4.3L and it has been with me since I bought it new and 365K miles later she's still going strong but with one little problem I can't figure out. The windshield washer is not working and I've gone through everything I can think of to find out what the problem is. I've replaced the pump, the pulse board, even a new blinker/wiper arm and still no luck. I can hook a 12v power source directly to the pump and it works fine. I did hook up a volt meter to the power connector and when I pushed the wash button the voltage would go from about .6v to about 2.3v and then repeat so somewhere there is something happening to the source voltage keeping it from reaching the 12 volts it needs.

The wipers work on both delay and regular so I am stumped. Is there something I am not checking that would cause this?

Topic author
thumb

Re: Windshield Washer not pumping

Post by thumb »

Anyone? I read that this is a common problem with Chevy's Image

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Windshield Washer not pumping

Post by WoodButcher »

thumb wrote: I did hook up a volt meter to the power connector and when I pushed the wash button the voltage would go from about .6v to about 2.3v and then repeat so somewhere there is something happening to the source voltage keeping it from reaching the 12 volts it needs.
There's your problem, you need 12v.
Follow the wire and find the issue. You have a short or broken wire.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)