How do I install an Anti theft switch?

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
bunce1260
I am merely driving my van

How do I install an Anti theft switch?

Post by bunce1260 »

I'm wanting to install an anti theft switch but I'm not sure how to go about it.
Is the fuel pump the best wire to interrupt with a switch? And if so can I just use a regular toggle switch on the negative cable?
Where can this wire be found? Im thinking of wiring under the van and going to a switch under the driver seat.

Any help will be much appreciated before we drive our van full of belongings from Chicago to Oregon in 2 weeks. Thanks.
2004 AWD. S10 4" rear springs. 2" Body spacers. Prothane body bushings. Insulated. Ventline VP543 roof fan. Hella 500's. Tru-cool 4454. Bilstein shocks. Brembo. Hawk.LED bar. 235/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATM
www.instagram.com/vango_life
www.VanGoLife.com

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: How do I install an Anti theft switch?

Post by Smiliesafari »

I installed a toggle switch that interrupts the fuel pump relay and the starter relay. You can hide the switch where ever you want.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
bunce1260

Post by bunce1260 »

Hi Smilie.

Could you elaborate on how you did this? Im able to wire things up if I have instructions, but Im not electrically inclined to be able to just go at it. Thanks
2004 AWD. S10 4" rear springs. 2" Body spacers. Prothane body bushings. Insulated. Ventline VP543 roof fan. Hella 500's. Tru-cool 4454. Bilstein shocks. Brembo. Hawk.LED bar. 235/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATM
www.instagram.com/vango_life
www.VanGoLife.com

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Really simple. I did it from the fuse/relay center under the hood. Find the hot wire for each relay and switch them. I combined both to a single switch.

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Smiliesafari wrote:Really simple. I did it from the fuse/relay center under the hood. Find the hot wire for each relay and switch them. I combined both to a single switch.
" find the hot wire for each relay and switch them" means put them on a switch and not to swap locations right? I was trying to figure out what good that would do :muhaha:
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Ya..... I didn't think that one through. :rolleyes: #-o You figured it out. =D>

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AstroWill »

Pretty much you can switch anything that is a requirement for the vehicle running.

Or just take the battery with you when you leave. ;)

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

I installed a switch in mine that will prevent the engine from cranking over at all.

I interrupted the power wire that runs from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. Now, this is a pretty heavy wire so I didn't want to run it straight through the little toggle switch I had. I ran the starter wire through a 30 amp relay and used the switch to turn the relay on & off. I sourced the power to switch the relay from the fuse panel. Be sure to use a source that is hot with the key in the Run AND Crank positions. You can use a source that's hot at all times but beware, if you forget to turn the kill switch off, that relay will stay on and drain the battery overnight.
Anyway, I wired the switch into the ground circuit of the relay to switch it that way.

Easy-peasy.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles